At a press conference this morning, Governor Whitmer issued a “stay at home” order for the entire state of Michigan due to the COVID-19/Coronavirus outbreak. This order has exemptions for essential services, which it takes effect on March 24, 2020 at 12:01 am, and it is scheduled to continue through April 13, 2020 at 11:59 pm. As the number of cases has risen over 1,000 in Michigan, Governor Whitmer is following several other Governors across the U.S., Ohio and Illinois being two of the most recent, in issuing a stay at home order.
The Executive Order specifically lists out certain exemptions, including the heavy construction industry, citing the federal guidance on essential critical infrastructure workforce. Therefore, M&M Excavating is designated as an employer of “critical infrastructure workers”.
MDOT’s top leadership has affirmed that their construction projects will proceed. MDOT has also indicated that all of their construction office field staff will be working. As a result, M&M Excavating will continue working on projects underway, and commence the 2020 construction season by calling back crews from lay-off as needed.
The Executive Order does require that employers who employ critical infrastructure workers, designate that status in writing to those employees who may maintain “in-person” operations. This “designated critical infrastructure worker” documentation is critical should the employee be stopped and asked why they are violating the “Stay at Home” order. This documentation will be provided to each crew member sent to work.
While our workforce is exempt under the order, every crew member is still required to maintain the CDC’s guidance on social distancing and strict adherence to workplace hygiene & etiquette. Please review & follow the posted response of M&M issued on March 16, 2020 found here. Additional guidance will be provided to protect our workforce, ensure continuity of operations and be of assistance to our community during toolbox talks & jobsite briefings.
Here’s how you can help limit the spread of COVID-19:
- Maintain good workplace hygiene, including hand-washing practices and coughing/sneezing etiquette (into sleeves or elbows, NOT hands).
- Maintain a distance of at least six feet from other workers and limit large group interactions. Follow these same practices off the job.
- Report symptoms of COVID-19 immediately. If you are sick, stay home. If you feel sick and are at work, tell your supervisor.
- Cooperate with response measures instituted by your employer and those recommended by health officials at the federal, state and local levels.
- Do not share other workers’ phones, PPE or other work tools and equipment.
- Use disinfecting wipes or spray routinely on high touch points, such as: heavy equipment & vehicle controls, steering wheels, doorknobs, shovels/rakes/tools, etc.
As previously mentioned, M&M Excavating cares deeply for the health & well-being of our workforce. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Brandie Meisner at 989-732-6277 or email@example.com.